[R] svg malformed on CentOS (epel R)

Jeroen Ooms jeroenooms at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 02:30:23 CET 2011

There is an issue with the default svg device on a centos workstation that I
am using. It does not result in an error, but it produces malformed svg
images. Exactly the same script works just fine on an ubuntu box. On Ubuntu
I am using R binary that comes with maverick, on centos I am using the
latest R binary from EPEL. Other than that both boxes are pretty clean, with
only the dependencies installed that are automatically installed when
installing R.

For example a testscript like this
svg("plot.svg");
plot(cars);
dev.off();

should produce this: http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~jeroen/files/plot_good.svg
(ubuntu), but on centos it produces this:
http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~jeroen/files/plot_bad.svg.

It looks very much as if there is something wrong with the fronts; maybe I
am missing some library. However, as this is a production server, I don't
want to go install random packages to see if this fixes the problem.

Some questions:

- How could I fix it?
- Why is R not throwing an error instead of producing a malformed plot?
- Maybe we could notify the R binary maintainers from fedora to add a formal
dependency so that it works 'out of the box'?

Jeroen