[R] (no subject)

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 17:56:27 CET 2011

Hi Andreas,

Assuming you are using read.table(), try setting the argument:
stringsAsFactors = FALSE

Also consider what about the Excel file is making R default to a
factor rather than numerical?  There may be a nonstandard
reprsentation of missing data (e.g., "."), which could also be
specified to read.table()

For more info, see the documentation for ?read.table

HTH,

Josh

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Andreas Emanuelsson
<Andreas.Emanuelsson at sik.se> wrote:
> Hi, I have tried to load a file originally from Excel, via csv, text and clipboard today.
>
> When I succeed I cannot change the format from "factor", and when I try to convert it to numerical it only gives the position of the "factor-group", not the real value in the column?
>
> Any quick suggestions?
>
> Andreas

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology