[R] Lattice: Feature Request

Jim Price price_ja at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 00:07:54 CET 2011

Hi,

I'm currently designing some global themes for use with lattice, and have
hit a snag. There doesn't appear to be (in xyplot at least) a way of setting
a lattice option for the 'scales' parameter at a global level - changes have
to be made in each function call. For example, consider the following code:

library(lattice)
library(latticeExtra)

# Create some data
temp <- expand.grid(
		    subject = paste('Subject', 1:2),
		    var = paste('Variable', 1:2),
		    time = 1:10)
temp$resp <- rnorm(nrow(temp))

# Example 1 - this is what I want to get to
useOuterStrips(xyplot(
		      resp ~ time | subject * var,
		      data = temp,
		      as.table = TRUE,
		      between = list(x = 0.2, y = 0.2),
		      scales = list(alternating = 1, tck = c(1, 0), col = 'black')
		      ))

# Example 2 - set up theme for later use
my.opts <- list(default.args = list(
		    		    as.table = TRUE,
				    between = list(x = 0.2, y = 0.2),
		    		    scales = list(alternating = 1, tck = c(1, 0), col = 'black') #
Illustrative, doesn't do anything
		))

dev.new()
useOuterStrips(xyplot(
		      resp ~ time | subject * var,
		      data = temp,
		      lattice.options = my.opts	# Note that the scales don't propagate
		      ))

As you can see the as.table and between parameters filter down nicely, but
the scales don't. This looks like this is intended by the current code - the
defaults in xyplot.formula for both scales and default.scales are empty
lists - so I don't know if this is: intended for some technical reason
that's just not obvious to me; an oversight on my part and there's some
other way of doing this; or a feature that could be added.

Of course, I could also take this as a chance to learn how to submit
patches, but thought I'd check to see if I'm missing anything first.

Technical stuff (because I'm not completely up to date):

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252    LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C                           LC_TIME=English_United
States.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] latticeExtra_0.6-14 RColorBrewer_1.0-2  lattice_0.19-13

[1] grid_2.12.0

Jim Price.
Cardiome Pharma. Corp.