[R] Main title in a multiple display of graphs

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Fri Mar 11 04:18:44 CET 2011

On 2011-03-10 13:37, Marcos Prunello wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to display four xyplots in the same window (sorry if I don't use the propers words, but my English is rude)
>
> I know that if I use plot(y~x) then
>
> 	x=(1:100)
> 	y=(1:100)
> 	par(mfrow=c(2,2))
> 	plot(y~x)
> 	plot(y~x)
> 	plot(y~x)
> 	plot(y~x)
>
> would give what I want, but this is not the case because I need the functions of xyplot.
>
> So I did the following:
>
> 	plot.new()
> 	title(main="Tasas de Mortalidad por 100.000 habitantes",outer=TRUE)
> 	print(xyplot(y~x), position=c(0,0.5,0.5,1), more=T)
> 	print(xyplot(y~x), position=c(0.5,0.5,1,1), more=T)
> 	print(xyplot(y~x), position=c(0,0,0.5,0.5), more=T)
> 	print(xyplot(y~x), position=c(0.5,0,1,0.5), more=T)
>
> In the output the title is not complete, a part of the letters only is seen.
> I searched how to solve this problem but nothing worked.

I don't know why you need xyplot, but an easy solution
would be to create a factor variable and then plot
y ~ x conditional on the factor:

  dat <- data.frame(x = rep(x, 4), y = rep(y, 4), g = gl(4, 100))
  xyplot(y ~ x | g, data = dat, main = "whatever you want")

If you want separate axes with possibly modified interpanel
spacing and with/without the strips:

  xyplot(y ~ x | g, data = dat
         ,main = "whatever you want"
         ,strip = FALSE         # remove if you want the strips
         ,between = list(x = 1, y = 2)
         ,scales = list(relation = 'free', rot = 0)
  )

Another possibility might be the latticedl package, but I
haven't yet used it.

Peter Ehlers