[R] tryCatch - Continuing for/next loop after error

Jonathan P Daily jdaily at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 10 14:49:54 CET 2011

--------------------------------------
Jonathan P. Daily
Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville WV, 25430
(304) 724-4480
"Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
 the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
     - Jubal Early, Firefly

r-help-bounces at r-project.org wrote on 03/10/2011 03:51:15 AM:

> [image removed]
>
> [R] tryCatch - Continuing for/next loop after error
>
> Costas
>
> to:
>
> r-help
>
> 03/10/2011 03:53 AM
>
> Sent by:
>
> r-help-bounces at r-project.org
>
> Please respond to costas.vorlow
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am not sure I understand fully the functionality of "tryCatch" and
> "try" commands and how these are used to continue a for/next loop if an
> error occurs within the loop.
>
> Can somebody point me to material (or share some code) with more
> extensive examples than the ones in the help/FAQ pages?
>
> Do explain my problem in more detail:
>
> for (i in 100:1000)
> {
>       ## do some other stuff
>
>      dataset<-head(data,i)
>      tryCatch(estimatemodel(dataset))

if estimatemodel returns an error (i.e. via a call to stop()), then this
should break out of the loop:

tryCatch(estimatemodel(dataset), error = function() break)

if you want to skip to the next iteration, use:
tryCatch(estimatemodel(dataset), error = function() next)