[R] compiling r with icc

Henrik Schmiediche henrik at stat.tamu.edu
Wed Mar 9 17:57:42 CET 2011

The compiler/optimization flags I use (or am experimenting with are) for
the Linux 64bit Intel XE compilers and R-2.12.2 are:

     -O3 -ipo -msse3 -fp-model precise

     export AR=xiar                          # not needed when using -ip
instead of -ipo
     #export MAIN_LDFLAGS="-limf -lpthread"  # only needed with using
--enable-R-shlib
./configure ...

Instead of "-msse3" you can use "-xHOST" if you have an Intel CPU and
know the R code only needs to work on one type of system. The "-ipo"
invokes Intel multi-file inter-procedural optimizations and you will
need to use the Intel 'xiar' program for it to work. Alternatively use
'-ip' instead of '-ipo' for single file inter-procedural optimization.

I also need to define the MAIN_LDFLAGS for linking to work properly when
using --enable-R-shlib (though I have not seen any of the guides mention
this).

If the compile time warning messages bother you:

   -O3 -ipo -msse3 -fp-model precise -diag-disable 170,186,188

Let me know if it works for you.

     - Henrik