[R] ok to use glht() when interaction is NOT significant?

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Mar 8 18:24:34 CET 2011

I basically agree -- an additional $.01 inline below. -- Bert

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Liaw, Andy <andy_liaw at merck.com> wrote:
> Just to add my ever depreciating $0.02 USD:
>
> Keep in mind that the significance testing paradigm puts a constraint on
> false positive rate, and let false negative rate float.  What you should
> consider is whether that makes sense in your situation.  All too often
> this is not carefully considered, and sometimes people will do
> not-very-kosher things to compensate for the conservativism of the
> significance testing.
>
> If you want to stay with the formality of the "protected tests", you
> should first check the overall F-test of the entire model and make sure
> that's significant before you look at the individual terms in the model.

The caveat here is that without (reasonably near) balance, individual
terms don't necessarily mean what you would like them to; in
particular "main effects" and "interactions" no longer have clear
interpretations.

> It's not sufficient for A1 and A2 to be significantly different at B2
> and not at B1 to say that there's significant interaction, but that the
> difference between A1 and A2 at B1 has to be significantly different
> that that at B2.  That's the definition of the interaction in the 2x2
> case.  If you have a priori interest in the comparison of A1 vs. A2 at
> B2, then you can test it as a pre-planned contrast and not worry too
> much about "protection" or multiplicity.

Yes. The key is "pre-planned." This does not mean something you found
in the course of the analysis (including graphics) and then" post"
pre-planned . ;-)

Cheers,
Bert