[R] assignment by value or reference

Xiaobo Gu guxiaobo1982 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 14:20:28 CET 2011

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Uwe Ligges
<ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> See the R Language Definition manual. Since R knows about lazy evaluation,
> it is sometimes neither by reference nor by value.
> If you want to think binary, then "by value" fits better than "by
> reference".
Hi,
Can we think it's eventually by value?

For simple functions such as:
is(df[[1]], "logical")
used to test wheather the first column of data frame df is of type
logical, will a new vector be created and used inside the is function?

Another example,

dbWriteTable(con, "tablename", df) will write the content of data
frame df into a database table, will a new data frame object created
and used inside the dbWriteTable function?

Thanks.