[R] How to reference a package in academical paper

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Mar 8 07:20:58 CET 2011

On 03/08/2011 08:26 AM, Jorge Ivan Velez wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> R>  citation('RODBC')

Hi all,
Upon reading this, I decided to check that this worked in the plotrix
package. The first format is correct, but for some reason the BibTeX
format isn't:

To cite package 'plotrix' in publications use:

   Lemon, J. (2006) Plotrix: a package in the red light district of R.
   R-News, 6(4): 8-12.

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

   @Article{,
     year = {2010},
     title = {Plotrix: a package in the red light district of R},
     journal = {R-News},
     volume = {6},
     number = {4},
     pages = {8-12},
     author = {{Lemon} and {J}},
   }

There is no mention of 2010 in the CITATION file, but I am suspicious of
the "meta$date" in the file. Perhaps this will alert whoever attends to
this function that something is not quite right.

Jim