[R] Coefficient of Determination for nonlinear function

Uwe Wolfram uwe.wolfram at uni-ulm.de
Sat Mar 5 17:14:12 CET 2011

Dear Bert, dear Andy,

thanks for your answers! I am quite aware that I do not fit a linear
model, so r^2 in Pearson's sens is indeed meaningless. Instead, I am
"fitting" an equation - or rather using an optimisation - were the
experimentally derived point cloud (x1, x2, x3) should deliver something
like 1 = f(x1, x2, x3). What I am trying to estimate is the quality of
the fit. One thing I computed so far is the standard error of the
equation (SEE) which is fine. My former question pointed in the
direction of how I could compute a coefficient of determination to
estimate a goodness of fit. Calling it r^2 may mislead but there must be
something similar in nonlinear regressions.

Thanks for your efforts,

Uwe