[R] subsetting data by specified observation number

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Sat Mar 5 20:42:44 CET 2011

Here is one way:

> tmp1 <- data.frame(Species=c('setosa','virginica','versicolor'),
+ row=c(7,20,18) )

> tmp.iris <- iris
> tmp.iris$row <- ave(iris$Sepal.Length, iris$Species, FUN=seq_along)
>
> out.iris <- merge(tmp.iris, tmp1, by=c('Species','row'))
>

> out.iris
     Species row Sepal.Length Sepal.Width Petal.Length Petal.Width
1     setosa   7          4.6         3.4          1.4         0.3
2 versicolor  18          5.8         2.7          4.1         1.0
3  virginica  20          6.0         2.2          5.0         1.5

Another way would be to use the split function on your big data set, then use sapply to iterate over the list resulting and return just the rows from failed.3 in each group.  Need to think a bit more about how that would look.

You could also just loop through the rows of failed.3 and grab the corresponding pieces in the full dataset.

There are probably a few other ways as well.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org