[R] R Statistical Package Installation

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat Mar 5 16:43:38 CET 2011

On Mar 5, 2011, at 5:56 AM, Nasir Afsar wrote:

> Dear R-project team,
> I have tried but could not install the R statistical package (http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/ ) even after the help of my institute's IT personnel. The setup file could not be downloaded. The latest file R-2.12.2.tar.gz<http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/src/base/R-2/R-2.12.2.tar.gz> does not start installation wizard. Kindly extend the technical support.

Nasir,

You are trying to install and run a compressed archive that contains the SOURCE CODE for R, not an executable version of the application.

You need to download the binary executable version of R for installation. You don't indicate your operating system, but go here:

  http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/

and look at the section entitled:

  Download and Install R

where binaries for Windows and OSX are available by following the appropriate link. If by chance you are on a Linux variant, there are binaries available for selected distributions, but we would need more information to guide you further.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz