[R] generating factors from the edit function

Erin Hodgess erinm.hodgess at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 05:45:02 CET 2011

Here is a little function that I put together:

> fact1
function(x) {
n <- ncol(x)
for(i in 1:n) {
if(mode(x[,i])=="character")x[,i] <- factor(x[,i])
}
return(x)
}

It does the trick.  I'm sure that there are better ways, but this seems ok.

Thank you!!!

Sincerely,
Erin

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Ista Zahn <izahn at psych.rochester.edu> wrote:
> Hi Erin,
> I would set up the data.frame the way you want it before calling
> fix(). Something like
>
> test2df <- data.frame(v1=numeric(), v2=factor())
> test2df <- fix(test2df)
>
> Best,
> Ista
>
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Erin Hodgess <erinm.hodgess at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear R People:
>>
>> If I use the fix or edit function for a new data frame, I would like
>> to have my character data as factors.
>>
>> Is there a "built in" way to do this, please?
>>
>> Here is what I did:
>>
>>> test2.df <- data.frame()
>>> test2.df <- fix(test2.df,factor.mode="character")

mailto: erinm.hodgess at gmail.com