[R] integrate a fuction

santiagorf sravassi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 00:01:19 CET 2011

I'm having a function of the form

1> f<-function(x){
1+
1+    return(x^p)
1+
1+ }

,and I would like to integrate it with respect to x, where p should be any
constant.

One way would be to set a value for p globally and then call integrate
function:
p=2
integrate(f, lower = -1, upper = 1)

However, I would like to use 'integrate' inside a function, so I  could call
it passing p as a parameter. I tried something like this:

1> p=1
1> integral<-function(p){
1+    integrate(f, lower = -1, upper = 1)
1+
1+ }
1>
1> integral(2)
0 with absolute error < 1.1e-14

,but it doesn't work as the integral of f is evaluated with p=1 (the value
of the global variable p) and not with the value of p=2 when the function
integral is called.

Does anyone knows how can I solve this problem?
Thanks in advance
santiagorf