[R] R usage survey

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Mar 4 23:21:08 CET 2011

Thanks Hadley,

Your response here and some I received offline made me look back at what I said and others and I could have phrased things better.  My phrase of "voluntary response" was a bit vague (but is what is used in the course materials I teach from, so that is what came to mind).

I specifically meant surveys without random selection where the respondents go to some effort to select themselves into the sample.  I feel that this survey fits that category, though definitely not as bad as those where people have to call a phone number and pay a fee to respond.  Hash's survey still looks like it is going to suffer from undercoverage and there could be serious bias from that.  There are methods for adjusting for undercoverage, but I don't see how Hash will have the information needed to do those kinds of corrections (however I am still learning and would be interested if there is the type of info and methods available for his).

Also looking back, I mistakenly assumed that he was planning on doing inference, but I don't see anywhere in his posts that he stated that, so that was my fault and I came on a bit strong based on that mistake, I apologize for that.  Offline he told me that he is planning on just doing descriptives and as long as he is up front about the limitations of the data and limits himself to descriptive, then the survey could be reasonable.  Statements like "at least 3 people from region X use R" don't require probability samples (just assumptions that those 3 people were honest about being from region X), inference about how many others in region X use R would need more/better information.

Hopefully that clarifies my position and people can start liking me again,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org