[R] Function unfold package RcmdrPlugin.survival

Rapha metras.raphaelle at choisyclub.org
Tue Jun 28 18:26:43 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I am using the function ‘unfold’ from the ‘RcmdrPlugin.survival’ to convert
my time-varying covariates dataset from wide to long. I managed to have it
working for my data.

However, the problem I have is that the observations after an event, won’t
be dropped from the dataset. For example, see the dataframe below: the event
occurs at 1.2 (event.time=1), but the 1.3 to 1.6 will remain in the dataset.
I did not find in the 'unfold' function an option to drop them, but I was
probably not looking well.

>From the Rossi dataset example, I saw that observations following event were
dropped, and I understood this might be because the values of the
time-varying covariates are NA, after the event.
In my case, all time-varying covariates still have values, even after the
event, because they were extracted from a very large number of environmental
raster files; so I guess the function ‘unfold’ sees them as observations
being at risk again.

Do you know/is there any way, to get rid of these remaining observations
(1.3 to 1.6)?

    start stop event.time id_cell month rvf_bin lake month_rain month_veg
1.1     0    1            0       1     2       1  2.5         23        21
1.2     1    2            1       1     2       1  2.5         56        66
1.3     2    3            0       1     2       1  2.5          3        11
1.4     3    4            0       1     2       1  2.5         12        21
1.5     4    5            0       1     2       1  2.5         11        20
1.6     5    6            0       1     2       1  2.5         21        35
2.1     0    1            0       2    NA       0  2.5         12        22

Many thanks for your advice,

Best regards,

Rapha