[R] Creating a Polar Plot with expanding points as radius increases

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Jun 28 13:29:45 CEST 2011

On 06/28/2011 08:35 AM, Patrick Jemison wrote:
> I'd like to create a polar plot similar to those created by the polarFreq
> function in the openair package.  However, this package seems to be specific
> to wind speed and direction, and requires a "ws" (wind speed) and a "wd"
> (wind direction) column.  My data is unrelated to wind speed, but I'd like
> to be able to get a plot that does what polarFreq's plots do; I'd like to
> have points that expand as their distance from the center increases.
>
> http://www.oga-lab.net/RGM2/func.php?rd_id=openair:polarFreq
>
> Without this property, my plot looks more like spokes on a wheel, or similar
> to the polar.plot function in the plotrix package:
> http://www.oga-lab.net/RGM2/func.php?rd_id=plotrix:polar.plot
>
> Is there a package or function available that allows the creation of a plot
> as described above for a generic set of polar data?  I spent a few hours
> today trying to find something I could use, but no luck yet.
>
> I'm using data of the form: x = r, y = theta, and z = a value to plot at the
> corresponding r,theta (as a comparison, for the polarFreq plot, z would be
> the frequency that is indicated by various colors in the plot).

Hi Patrick,
polar.plot (or other plots in the radial.plot family) currently don't
plot sectors or fill the (what the heck is the intersection of a sector
and an annulus called?) to illustrate a third value (say, proportion) in
addition to direction and intensity. However, it can be done, and I
might just have a shot at it if I can scratch up an hour or two sometime
in the next couple of years. Well, maybe sooner than that. Look out for
"radial.pie".

Jim