[R] cumulative incidence plot vs survival plot

array chip arrayprofile at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 23:04:11 CEST 2011

Hi David,

Thanks for responding, and plain text ...(didn't realized I was in rich text).

The endpoint is disease recurrence, I was producing a regular KM plot of
recurrence-free probability. Then someone recommend using cumulative incidence
is preferred because death was censored in the dataset. I did a little googling,
I found CI was used often in the context of competing risk. I am totally new to
competing risk and trying to understand what competing risk means and why CI is
preferred than KM survival in this context. If you could share your thoughts
helping me to understand, greatly appreciated.

Searched archive, found people talking about cmprsk package for estimating and
plotting CI. would that be the same as the code you suggested: plot(time,
cumsum(dead))

Thanks very much!

John