[R] Problems setting language in R-2.13.0 and opening RData

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 25 21:53:23 CEST 2011

Please see the rw-FAQ.

And your claims about 2.10.0 are simply not true.  There only ever has
been an option to choose the language of the installer: see the
rw-FAQ.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011, Manabu Sakamoto wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I just recently installed R-2.13.0 on my Windows7. I used to run R-2.10.0.
>
> First of all, I used to be able to install R in English (in R-2.10.0)
> during the installation procedure. My PC is in a Japanese environment
> but I want R to be in English because I won't be able to interpret any
> errors if they are in Japanese (I am Japanese so I can read them but I
> won't be able to understand them). However, it seems that under
> R-2.13.0, the option to install in English simply does not exist and I
> have to associate LANGUAGE=en in the properties of all short cuts to
> R.

You can set environment variables globally, which it seems is what you
want.  Then any product using GNU gettext will give your messages in
English.  (Windows may still give your Japanese messages.)