[R] Problems setting language in R-2.13.0 and opening RData

Manabu Sakamoto manabu.sakamoto at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 11:48:11 CEST 2011

Dear list,

I just recently installed R-2.13.0 on my Windows7. I used to run R-2.10.0.

First of all, I used to be able to install R in English (in R-2.10.0)
during the installation procedure. My PC is in a Japanese environment
but I want R to be in English because I won't be able to interpret any
errors if they are in Japanese (I am Japanese so I can read them but I
won't be able to understand them). However, it seems that under
R-2.13.0, the option to install in English simply does not exist and I
have to associate LANGUAGE=en in the properties of all short cuts to
R.

This leads to my second problem. I usually open a saved work space by
double clicking on a .RData file. I had no problems in R-2.10.0 but in
R-2.13.0, even though I associated R-2.13.0 with RData files during
installation, I had problems opening them by double-clicking (it
always came up with a RTerm window) but I found a "R for Windows GUI
front-end" that I can associate my RData with which enabled me to open
RData in the R GUI. However, this R window is in Japanese.

So my question is: is there a way to set R itself in English
(including this R for Windows GUI front-end) and not just the pathways
from short cuts? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

many thanks in advance.
Manabu
--
Manabu Sakamoto, PhD