[R] mgcv:gamm: predict to reflect random s() effects?

Szumiloski, John john_szumiloski at merck.com
Fri Jun 24 22:26:46 CEST 2011

Thanks Simon, that was quite enlightening, as I did somewhat misunderstand how gamm works.

The bs='re' argument to s() is something I had not seen before.  And the idea of pooling any random effects over the entire population does seem safer than trying to estimate variabilities etc from barely 10 subjects.  I appreciate the feedback.

A couple of followups -- feel free to reply offline only, if at all :)  although I suspect others might learn some things,

In your dummy variable trick, I see how subjectwise predictions are obtained.  But to get the Group mean predictions, isn't the s term with the 0 dummy by variable the same as just omitting the s term with Subject altogether?  I would think so but want to check.

In the spirit of handling subjectwise variabilities, I could imagine using the term

	s(Subject, bs="re", by=X)

and trying to emulate lme-like behavior and fitting a random effect slope to each subject.  First question is, is that indeed what it does?  If so, would this term include an intercept? I would assume it doesn't but again want to check.

Thanks again,
John