[R] Time-series analysis with treatment effects - statistical approach

J.Morgenroth jmo101 at student.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jun 24 00:41:25 CEST 2011

Mike Marchywka wrote:

>> I discovered a way to do repetitive tasks that can be concisely specified
>> using
>> something called a computer.

Now that's funny :)

There were not controlled tests. It was a field experiment testing the
effects that various pavement designs have on underlying soil moisture. Two
designs incorporated a porous pavement surface course, while two others were
based on standard impervious concrete pavement...the control was just bare,
exposed soil.

As you can see from the graph, the control responds quickly to rainfall
events, but dries out quickly as well due to evaporation. The porous
pavement allows for quick infiltration of precipitation, while the
impervious pavement eventually allows infiltration of rainfall, but it's
delayed.

My objective is to be able to differentiate between the pavement treatments,
such that I can state with statistical confidence that porous pavements
affects underlying soil moisture differently than impervious pavements.

I think this is obvious just looking at it, but I wanted to be able to back
it up with stats. What I'd done previously is to average by week. But as  I
mentioned, I thought that an anova table with 104 rows relating to each week
was a poor way of analyzing the data. But that being said, it effectively
allows me to check for treatment-related differences.

Thanks for the suggestions to date. Maybe the more I explain what I'm trying
to achieve, the more focussed the suggestions will be. The vaguer the
question, the broader the response, right?

Thanks again,
Justin