[R] plotmath: unexpected SPECIAL

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:11:40 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Uwe Ligges
<ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> the relevant thing you have to remember is: All the stuff must be valid R
> syntax (with few additional functions as mention in the ?plotmath help
> file). Knowing that it is obvious where additional "operators" are required.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges

Actually, I think that may be the source of the confusion.

I was thinking about it in terms of *labels*, and there's no intrinsic
reason that an axis label or other text caption has to have x and y
arguments, even if it otherwise might be an operator. A right arrow,
as the original querent asked about, could have other uses in a label
than connecting two items. It simply didn't occur to me that it could
*only* be used that way, though in other contexts that would make
perfect sense.

It is only possible to use a binary operator through plotmath, even
though the result is a label, and not to talk about a binary operator.
That's the missing conceptual bit, at least for me.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org