[R] plotmath: unexpected SPECIAL

Bryan Hanson hanson at depauw.edu
Thu Jun 23 02:10:30 CEST 2011

Hello R Masters and the Rest of Us:

The first of these works fine, the 2nd is accepted but too literal
(the "%->%" is shown in the plot label and in the wrong position).
The 3rd throws and error due to "unexpected SPECIAL".  Would someone
recommend a way to format this?  I want the two phrases connected by a
right arrow.

TIA, these things always elude me.  Bryan
Bryan Hanson
Professor of Chemistry & Biochemistry
DePauw University

xlab1 <-expression(paste("Phase Angle ", phi, " Neat-O"))
xlab2 <- expression(paste("treatment: low stress", "high stress", sep
xlab3 <- expression(paste("treatment: low stress", %->%, "high stress"))

plot(1:10, main = xlab1)
plot(1:10, main = xlab2)