[R] omitting columns from a data frame

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 05:52:05 CEST 2011

Hi Erin,

See inline.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Erin Hodgess <erinm.hodgess at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear R People:
>
> I have a data frame, xm1, which has 12 rows and 4 columns.
>
> If I put is xm1[,-4], I get all rows, and columns 1 - 3, which is as
> it should be.

Okay, so you know how to use the column number to omit columns.

> Now, is there a way to use the names of the columns to omit them, please?

You have all the pieces (the column names, and the knowledge that you
can omit columns by their index).

Homework: find a way to return the column numbers given the column names (hint).

Cheers,

Josh

> Thanks so much in advance!
>
> Sincerely,
> Erin
>

> --
> Erin Hodgess
> Associate Professor
> Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
> University of Houston - Downtown
> mailto: erinm.hodgess at gmail.com

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology