[R] Quick R syntax question

Luke Miller millerlp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:47:54 CEST 2011

If we assume that your data are in a data frame (which doesn't allow
spaces in column names, hence the periods in the call below):

>df = data.frame(Major.Gleason = c(4,5,2,3), Minor.Gleason = c(3,2,4,3))

You can paste together the contents of the two columns with a plus
sign in between using the paste() function. The sep='' option at the
end of the function call specifies that no spaces should be included
between pasted items.

>output = paste(as.character(df [,'Major.Gleason']), '+', as.character(df[ ,'Minor.Gleason']), sep='')

The new object 'output' is a character vector containing the 4 strings
you're after:

> print(output)
[1] "4+3" "5+2" "2+4" "3+3"