[R] Using MCMC sampling to estimate p values with a mixed model

ps0u5145 h.e.woodcock at liv.ac.uk
Sat Jun 18 00:04:33 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is a silly question but I am a student and this is my
first time using R so I am still trying to educate myself on commands,
models e.t.c

I have a mixed model with four dichotomous fixed factors and subject as a
random factor (as each person completed four vignettes, with factors crossed
across vignettes).

I have run an lmer model and used the Monte Carlo method to see if there are
any significant main effects or interactions. However, when I looked at the
p values some are showing as significant although the F value is less than
1. Is it possible to have a significant effect with an F value below 1?.

I have a sample size of 150 and have read that the pMCMC values can be
anti-conservative so wonder if it is because my sample size may be too
small?.

Thank you for any help