[R] welch anova and post-hoc

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 14:09:00 CEST 2011

On Jun 12, 2011, at 12:50 , eldor ado wrote:

> dear r community...
>
> it loks like i won't be able to reach homogenity of variance for my
> dataset, so i end up with welch anova instead of regular anova.
> documentation on this test is rather scarce, so maybe someone here can
> enlighten me a bit:
>
> - do i understand that no two-way implementation of the welch anova
> has been developed yet?

Has the THEORY been developed? For complete data, I suppose you can formulate it as a multivariate contrast test and employ Huynh-Feldt correction, but it is not quite the obvious generalization. Otherwise, formulate as a mixed model with error variance depending on treatment, but the degree-of-freedom adjustments are not implemented in lme.

> - is there a post-hoc test for welch anovas implemented in R?

Again, what does it mean?

pairwise.t.test(..., pool.sd = FALSE, var.eq = FALSE)

will do various pairwise comparison and allow simple corrections of the p value (Bonferroni and close relatives).