[R] RES: Linear multivariate regression with Robust error

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:29:06 CEST 2011

________________________________
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:50:24 -0300
> From: filipe.botelho at vpar.com.br
> To: friendly at yorku.ca; bkkochar at gmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] RES: Linear multivariate regression with Robust error
>

> --Forwarded Message Attachment--
> Subject: RES: [R] Linear multivariate regression with Robust error
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:50:24 -0300
> From: filipe.botelho at vpar.com.br
> To: friendly at yorku.ca; bkkochar at gmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
>

> Hi Barjesh,
>
> I am not sure which data you analyze, but once I had a similar situation
> and it was a multicolinearity issue. I realized this after finding a
> huge correlation between the independent variables, then I dropped one
> of them and signs of slopes made sense.
>
> Beforehand, have a glance at your correlation matrix of independent
> variables to see the relationship between them.

I guess "look at the data" ( LATFD ) seems to be the recurring solution.
Certainly with polynomial regression, there's a tendency to think that
the fit parameter is a pure property of the system being examined. With
something like a Taylor series, and you have a slope at a specific point,
maybe you could think about it that way but here the coefficient
is just "whatever optimizes your (arbitrary ) error function for the data
you have." A linear approaximation to a non-line could be made at
one point and maybe that property should remain constant but
you have people claiming " past authors samples some curve near x=a
and got a different slope than my work largely smapling f(x) around
x=b what is wrong with my result?" It may be interesting to try to
write a taylor series around some point and see how those coefficients
vary with data sets for example( you still need arbitrary way to
estimate slopes and simply differencing two points may be a bit noisy LOL
but you could play with some wavelet families maybe ).

If you try to describe a fruit as a linear combination of vegetables,
you may get confusing but possibly useful results even if they don't correspond to
properties of the fruits so much as a specific need you have. For example, if you
are compressing images of fruits and your decoder already has a dictionary
of vegetables, it may make sense to do this.  This is not much different from
trying to compress non-vocal music with an ACELP codec that attempts to fit the sounds
to models of human vocal tract. Sometimes this may be even be informative
about how a given sound was produced even if it sounds silly.