[R] merge large number of raster objects

Ben Zaitchik zaitchik at jhu.edu
Fri Jun 10 04:57:58 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have a large number of raster objects in memory, with names RH100,
RH101, RH102, etc. (myobjects <- ls(pattern='^RH')).
These rasters are sections of a continuous map, and I would like to
combine them using the RasterObject merge tool in package 'raster.'

Merge expects an input list of raster objects (outmap<-merge(x, y, ...),
where x, y, and ... are raster objects).  I can run the command
successfully if I type in every raster object that I want to merge, but
this is impractical for the large number of objects I'm combining.

I would like to apply merge to a list of object names defined using some
kind of wildcard-based list command, but I'm struggling to find the
right data types in R.

Is there some way to convert a vector of strings (e.g.,
as.vector(ls(pattern='^RH'))) to a vector of object names (as.names??)
that could be specified as the input to the merge function?  What I'd
really like to do is something like outmap<-merge(myobjects[1:40]), in
order to merge the 40 raster objects, but I recognize that it might not
be so simple.

Advance apologies if this is already dealt with on the help list . . .
I've gone in circles on wildcard, lapply, and names threads and haven't
managed to get anything to work.

Thank you,
Ben