[R] Resources for utilizing multiple processors

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Jun 9 14:47:55 CEST 2011

On 06/08/2011 08:54 PM, Robin Jeffries wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know of some various methods out there to utilize multiple processors but
> am not sure what the best solution would be. First some things to note:
> I'm running dependent simulations, so direct parallel coding is out
> (multicore, doSnow, etc).
> I'm on Windows, and don't know C. I don't plan on learning C or any of the
> *nix languages.
>
> My main concern deals with Multiple analyses on large data sets. By large I
> mean that when I'm done running 2 simulations R is using ~3G of RAM, the
> remaining ~3G is chewed up when I try to create the Gelman-Rubin statistic
> to compare the two resulting samples, grinding the process to a halt. I'd
> like to have separate cores simultaneously run each analysis. That will save
> on time and I'll have to ponder the BGR calculation problem another way. Can
> R temporarily use HD space to write calculations to instead of RAM?
>
> The second concern boils down to whether or not there is a way to split up
> dependent simulations. For example at iteration (t) I feed a(t-2) into FUN1
> to generate a(t), then feed a(t), b(t-1) and c(t-1) into FUN2 to simulate
> b(t) and c(t). I'd love to have one core run FUN1 and another run FUN2, and
> better yet, a third to run all the pre-and post- processing tidbits!

If FUN1 is independent of b() and c(), perhaps the example at the bottom
of ?socketConnection points in a useful direction -- start one R to
calculate a(t) and send the result to a socket connection, then move on
to a(t+1). Start a second R to read from the socket connection and do
FUN2(t), . You'll be able to overlap the computations and double
throughput; the 'pipeline' could be extended with pre- and
post-processing workers, too, though one would want to watch out for the
complexity of managing this.

Martin