[R] Cleveland dot plots

William G. Jacoby jacoby at msu.edu
Wed Jun 8 16:47:31 CEST 2011

Colin Wahl wrote:

> I would rather use cleveland dot plots than bar charts to display my study
> results. I have not been able to find (or figure out) an R package that is
> capable of producing the publication quality dot charts Im looking for. I
> have either not been able to get error bars (lattice), cannot order the
> data display properly (latticeExtra), or cannot make adjustments to axes.
> Does anyone have a quick suggestion for a package that can handle
> cleveland dot plots well?

Most of the things you mention can be accomplished within the lattice
package, using panel functions and the scales= argument. The reorder()
function will probably accomplish what you're looking for when you say
"order the data display properly". A few years ago, I wrote a short paper on
dotplots that you might find helpful: Jacoby, William G. 2006. "The Dotplot:
A Graphical Display for Labeled Quantitative Values." The Political
Methodologist 14(1): 6-14. A longer version of the paper is available
http://polisci.msu.edu/jacoby/research/dotplots/ here . Both of these papers
provide examples of the things you mention (error bars, reordering data,
etc.). Hope this helps!