[R] R and DBSCAN

Paco Pastor paco at ceam.es
Tue Jun 7 10:37:53 CEST 2011

Hello Christian

Thanks for answering. Yes, I have tried dbscan from fpc but I'm still
stuck on the memory problem. Regarding your answer, I'm not sure which
memory parameter should I look at. Following is the code I tried with
dbscan parameters, maybe you can see if there is any mistake.

sstdat=read.csv("sst.dat",sep=";",header=F,col.names=c("lon","lat","sst"))

library(fpc)
sst1=subset(sstdat, sst<50)
sst2=subset(sst1, lon>-6)
sst2=subset(sst2, lon<40)
sst2=subset(sst2, lat<46)

 > dbscan(sst2$sst, 0.1, MinPts = 5, scale = FALSE, method =
c("hybrid"), seeds = FALSE, showplot = FALSE, countmode = NULL)
Error: no se puede ubicar un vector de tamaño  858.2 Mb
 > head(sst2)
              lon   lat   sst
1257 35.18 24.98 26.78
1258 35.22 24.98 26.78
1259 35.27 24.98 26.78
1260 35.31 24.98 26.78
1261 35.35 24.98 26.78
1262 35.40 24.98 26.85

In this example I only apply dbscan to temperature values, not lon/lat,
so eps parameter is 0.1. As it is a gridded data set any point is
surrounded by eight data points, then I thought that at least 5 of the
surrounding points should be within the reachability distance. But I'm
not sure I'm getting the right approach by only considering temperature
value, maybe then I'm missing spatial information. How should I deal
with longitude and latitude data?

dimensions of sst2 are: 152243 rows x 3 columns

Thanks again

--
[...]

Your email address and personal data are included in a file belonging to the Fundación de la Comunidad Valenciana Centro de Estudios Ambientales del Mediterráneo - CEAM, con CIF: G-46957213. The purpose of this file is to allow us to keep in contact with you. In accordance with Organic Law 15/1999, you are permitted to access, rectify, cancel or oppose the contents of this file by submitting a written request, accompanied by a photocopy of your DNI, to: Fundación de la Comunidad Valenciana Centro de Estudios Ambientales del Mediterráneo - CEAM. C/ Charles R. Darwin, 14. Parque Tecnológico.46980 PATERNA (Valencia).