[R] Question about curve function

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 22:39:08 CEST 2011

On 11-06-05 1:07 PM, Abhilash Balakrishnan wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I am a new user of the R package.  When I try to use the curve function it
> confuses me.
>
>> curve(x^2)
> Works fine.
>
>> curve(x)
> Makes a complaint I don't understand.  Why is x^2 valid and x is not?

curve() is a convenience function, and it tries to guess what you mean.
  Sometimes it gets it wrong.

In the first case, it is clear you want to graph x^2.  In the second it
guesses you have a function named x and want to graph that.  You don't,
so it fails.

Probably it could try again after the first failure, but I'd guess there
will always be strange cases where it does weird things.

Duncan Murdoch