[R] Pareto Chart using GUI

Vikas Garud information4vikas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 14:35:00 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am exploring GUI's for doing Quality
Management/Assurance/Improvement activities and this is another mail
in series!

Focus of this mail is Pareto Analysis for following data (Truncated):
Date	Defect code	Operator	Shift	Machine	Cost - Internal	Cost -
External	Cost - Total
8-Jun-2011	410	Joe	1	AAA	5	50	55
8-Jun-2011	465	Joe	1	AAA	1.5	25	26.5
8-Jun-2011	412	Joe	1	AAA	1.5	10	11.5
8-Jun-2011	410	Joe	1	AAA	5	50	55
8-Jun-2011	218	Joe	1	AAA	1	10	11
8-Jun-2011	440	Joe	1	AAA	1	10	11
8-Jun-2011	410	Joe	1	AAA	5	50	55
8-Jun-2011	413	Joe	1	AAA	0.5	5	5.5
8-Jun-2011	410	Joe	1	AAA	5	50	55
8-Jun-2011	465	Moe	1	BBB	1.5	25	26.5
8-Jun-2011	410	Moe	1	BBB	5	50	55
8-Jun-2011	412	Moe	1	BBB	1.5	10	11.5
8-Jun-2011	841	Moe	1	BBB	0.5	5	5.5
8-Jun-2011	410	Moe	1	BBB	5	50	55
8-Jun-2011	413	Moe	1	BBB	0.5	5	5.5
8-Jun-2011	410	Moe	1	BBB	5	50	55
8-Jun-2011	413	Moe	1	BBB	0.5	5	5.5
8-Jun-2011	465	Moe	1	BBB	1.5	25	26.5
8-Jun-2011	410	Moe	1	BBB	5	50	55

In all cases, the qcc package is loaded.

RKward:

I could get nice Pareto Chart, for the variable Defect code.  Is it
possible to plot a Pareto Chart for, say, Total cost?  The attempt of
plotting the same through RKward fails, in the sense that the number
of times a particular cost value appears is used for plotting the
Pareto chart.  I'd like a Pareto plot by defect codes based on Total
cost.  Is this possible?  How?

The data in this example to demonstrate Pareto Chart contains 8 defect
codes and it is possible to make sense of the plot.  Some real data
contains hundreds of records.  (There is file, somewhere on the
internet - sorry, I could not find the link - CFHPareto.xls containing
11099 records in 37 defect codes.)  Doing a Pareto Analysis did give
me nice coloured Pareto Chart, however, the legends are all mixed up
and can not be read.  The utility of the Pareto chart is practically
nil.  For such data, I would like to club categories beyond, say, 80%
in cumulative total, to be clubbed in "Others".    Is it possible?
How?

R Commander (with qcc plugin):

I could not get Pareto Chart in R Commander.  Under the Quality
Control Menu, The choice for variables is limited to Date, Machine and
Operator.  This does not change even after the defect code is set to
"Character" type.  I tried the other data (CFHPareto.xls) and I could
get a Pareto Chart of defect code - with bars for all 37 defect codes,
but legends only for 4 codes, which could fit the space available.
Though there is Pareto chart, its practical utility is nil for large
number of categories.

JGR-Deducer:

I could not get any option for plotting Pareto chart.  The
"Frequencies" under the "Analysis" menu computed the number of times a
particular defect code occurs.  This could be used for plotting Bar
chart - though not Pareto chart with the lines above the bars.
However, I could not sort the output table.  I could also not get any
way to compute values for plotting bar plot of defect codes based on
total cost.  Is there a way to accomplish Pareto Chart, may be through
couple of stages?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Vikas Garud