[R] Problem with package development

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 01:33:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Nipesh Bajaj <bajaj141003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I editied the help page for fn1() function (as I already communicated
> in previous mail) as follows:
> \name{fn1}
> \alias{fn1}
>
> \title{
> A function.
> }
>
> \description{
> A function.
> }
>
> \usage{
> A function.

What makes you think this qualifies as "editing"?  Please read the
Writing R Extensions manual thoroughly.  If you had, you would see
that what you have written will clearly not work (though I would think
this intuitively obvious if you have ever read documentation for
R...what function is simply documented, "A function."?).  Here is a
link to the manual:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html

it actually provides a wealth of information and when I was writing my
first package, I kept it open and constantly referred to it as I was
writing documentation, naming files, creating the DESCRIPTION file,
etc.  The other resource that helped me tremendously was Dr. Chambers
book Software for Data Analysis.  You might also consider downloading
the source code for a package (I just used the SoDA package) so you
have an example of how someone who knows what they are doing writes a
package.

I feel pretty strongly that:

"I strongly feel that related documentations should be more
Statistician-friendly, than some Engg. guys"

is quite an unfair statement given all the time and effort R core has
put not only into writing R, but making manuals and documentation
that, while complex at times, are extremely thorough to the point that
I, as a psychologist, with no training in computer science,
engineering, or statistics, was able to blunder my way along just by
carefully going through their work.

Best of luck to you,

Josh

Joshua Wiley