[R] Problem with package development

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:10:38 CEST 2011

On 02/06/2011 2:03 PM, Nipesh Bajaj wrote:
> Thanks Prof. Ripley and Duncan for your pointers. Noting down your
> points I have modified my way of building package and have done
> following so far:
>
> 1. In my C: drive I create one working folder naming "R_PackageBuild"
> 2. In R console I have written following codes:
> >  setwd("c:/R_packageBuild")
> >  package.skeleton("trial1",namespace = TRUE, code_files = "f:/trial.r")
> 3. then I opened cmd and wrote following:
> cd C:\R_PackageBuild
> Rcmd build –binary trial1
>
> This process halted with following error:
> Error: unexpected symbol in “tools:::.test_load_package(‘trial1′,….)”
> Execution halted
> ERROR: loading failed
>
> What I have missed in this process? Can you please help me how to
> solve this issue?

You haven't done the manual changes required between steps 2 and 3.
package.skeleton() creates the skeleton of a package; you run it once as
you are starting development, the do a lot of manual updates, described
on the ?package.skeleton help page, and in the  ‘Read-and-delete-me’
file.  Once those are done, step 3 should succeed.

Duncan Murdoch