[R] Metafor: Differences between two categories of a moderator

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Jun 2 13:18:24 CEST 2011

Well, that's a good question. It actually applies to many different contexts (not just meta-analysis). Think of the ANOVA F-test and post-hoc/planned contrasts. It's essentially the same situation. And if you would ask 10 different statisticians about this, you may get 11 different answers.

My suggestion would be this: If you have no particular hypotheses in mind and are just screening for group differences, then adjust. If you have a priori hypotheses, then test them without adjustment (and in that case, you may even ignore the omnibus test).

Best,

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology