[R] Anyone have experience with kinship pedigree plot?

Ben Bimber bimber at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 1 18:53:28 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am using the Kinship package to draw a pedigree plot.  I am trying
to control the spacing between individuals in the pedigree.
Currently, it is drawing a pedigree with too little space, so the text
is overlapping.  I'd like to increase the distance between
individuals.  According to the documentation, I would expect the
following to be relevant:

http://rss.acs.unt.edu/Rdoc/library/kinship/html/plot.pedigree.html

symbolsize 	controls symbolsize. Default=1.
width 	default=8. For a packed pedigree, the minimum width allowed in
the realignment of pedigrees.
density 	defines density used in the symbols. Takes up to 4 different values.
mar 	no comment(s)

my pedigree command is similar to:

plot(ptemp, width=5, symbolsize=1);

however, 'width', doesnt seem to actually do anything as far as I can
see (ie. the plot looks the same no matter what value I use).  the
example command in the kinship doc uses:

plot(x, id=x$id, sex=x$sex, status=x$status,
affected=x$affected, cex=1, col=rep(1, length(x$id)),
symbolsize=1, branch=0.6, packed=T, align=packed, width=8,
density=c(-1, 50,70,90),
mar=c(4.1,1,4.1,1), angle=c(90, 70, 50, 0), keep.par=F, ...)

when I try density params similar to their example, it also does not
obviously do anything.  I could not find documentation on exactly what
those do either.  does anyone have any experience with pedigree plots,
other suggestions or tips on where else I should be looking?

thanks for the help.

-ben