[R] R 2.13.1 can't find package binaries on R-Forge

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 18:14:22 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 9:00 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Ista Zahn wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>> The easiest thing to do is just install the source package with
>>
>> install.packages("p3d", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org", type =
>> "source")
>>
>> You'll need install some prerequisite software first (if you've not
>> already done so). See
>> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#The-Windows-toolset
>
> Is that always true? I thought that one could install pure-R packages from
> source without the toolset. Just asking, I'm not windozing, this year
> anyway.

No, it is not.  For pure R, you can get by without the Windows toolset
(though I am not sure about things like byte-compiling).  That said,
"getting the toolset" basically just involves downloading and double
clicking a nicely bundled program Duncan Murdoch supplies so it takes
virtually nil effort.

Josh