[R] effect size

h_bumann henning.bumann at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:21:52 CEST 2011

I understand, that eta^2 presents a useful measure of effect sizes.

However, the power-calculation-tool G*Power I intend to use, requires an
"Effect size f" which is calculated like this: "Variance explained by
special effect" / "Variance explained by special effect" + "Variance within
groups"

I run a within-subject design with 3 experimental conditions and a certain
number of subjects. RTs are usually aggregated within the design cells, but
not necessarily.

Which Sum of Suqare in the aov()-procedure do I have to use to compute this
"Effect size f" properly?
and a related question:
Is it in any way meaningful to standardize the expected effect (eg. 20 ms
difference between experimental conditions) with the variance of a
represenative distribution (eg. of reaction times within one design-cell,
eg. 200ms sd) to retrive some measure of effect size (eg. 0.1)?

Sincerly!
Henning