[R] boxplots

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 15:48:55 CEST 2011

Martin,

I don't know of an easy way to make that change, but do note:

     The two ‘hinges’ are versions of the first and third quartile,
     i.e., close to ‘quantile(x, c(1,3)/4)’.  The hinges equal the
     quartiles for odd n (where ‘n <- length(x)’) and differ for even
     n.  Whereas the quartiles only equal observations for ‘n %% 4 ==
     1’ (n = 1 mod 4), the hinges do so _additionally_ for ‘n %% 4 ==
     2’ (n = 2 mod 4), and are in the middle of two observations
     otherwise.

(from the help for boxplot.stats), so it may not make any substantial
difference. You could always call boxplot.stats() on your data and see
whether the values used are close enough to the values you want to
make it not worth fiddling.

If they aren't, you'll need to look into boxplot.stats() and bxp(), I think.
You might also look into the boxplot functions in contributed packages.

Sarah

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Martin Olofsson
<martin.olofsson at zoologi.su.se> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My name is Martin and I have a problem concerning the boxplot function in R.
> I want my boxes to be limited by the 1st and 3rd quartile and NOT the
> 'hinges' values that are the default setting in R.
> Do anyone knows if there is any command that I could do to change this
> default setting?
>
> Sincerely
>
> Martin Olofsson

Sarah Goslee