[R] Unable to install packages on Mac OS X

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 15:19:01 CEST 2011

On Jul 29, 2011, at 8:13 AM, Miguel Leal wrote:

> Thank you David for your answer.
>
> The lattice package was not a good example. The thing is the same
> errors occurs with any package I try to install.

Read all of the message, this time for meaning. You appear to have
ignored my suggestion that you were using an inoperative repository
URL. So prepare to duck; a clue-stick is about to be swung at you: ...
USE A DIFFERENT REPOSITORY.

You also appear not to have read the Posting Guide, since all of the
"at a minimum" information is still  missing.

Put yourself in our position. How can we tell you anything specific
when all you tell us is what is not working. Everybody else is able to
load packages, so <something> about your setup is different and you
are not telling us anything about how you installed R, how you are
using it, or where your libraries are, or <anything else that might be
useful>.
--
David.

> Thank you
> Miguel
>
> On Jul 28, 2011, at 4:31 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>

>> On Jul 28, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Miguel Leal wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problems installing packages.
>>>
>>> I'm working on the R version 2.13.1 in a Mac OS X version 10.6.8.
>>>
>>> I'm not able to search or install packages. For instance, I have
>>> the following error message:

>>> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.pt.r-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.13
>>
>> Looks like a weird URL. How did you come up with that one? When I
>> go to it with my browser it times out. Why not pick a working
>> repository?
>>
>>> Warning message:
>>> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>>> package 'lattice' is not available (for R version 2.13.1)
>>
>> And I thought lattice was part of the default packages
>> installation, so would not have expected any need to install it.
>>
>> Have you just tried library(lattice) from the R console?
>>
>> --
>>
>> David Winsemius, MD
>> West Hartford, CT

David Winsemius, MD