[R] converting factor to numeric gives "NAs introduced by coercion"

anglor angelica.ekenstam at dpes.gu.se
Fri Jul 29 10:45:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a dataframe that I imported from a .txt file by:

skogTemp <- read.delim2("Skogaryd_shoot_data.txt", header=TRUE, fill=TRUE)

and the data are factors, how can avoid factors from the beginning? Although
the file contains both characters and numbers.

I tried to convert some of the columns from factor to numeric and as I
understood it you can not use only as.numeric but as.character first. I got
this warning message:

> skogTemp_1 <- as.numeric(as.character(skogTemp_1[,2:4]))
Warning message:
NAs introduced by coercion

I have lots of NAs in my data. Tries to check what class I had now but
another warning is given me:
> class(skogTemp_1[,2])
Error in skogTemp_1[, 2] : incorrect number of dimensions
> class(skogTemp_1[1,2])
Error in skogTemp_1[1, 2] : incorrect number of dimensions

frustrating... I don't know what this mean.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,
Angelica