[R] smooth scatterplot and geo map

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Jul 28 22:20:22 CEST 2011

The usual smoothed scatterplot assumes that the x variable (longitude) is fixed and that the y-variable (latitude) is observed with error, and that the mapping is 1 to 1 or 1 to many in that for each value of x you can have at most one y value.  These assumptions don't seem to make much sense with positional data.

You might consider using xsplines instead (see ?xspline).  This draws a curve from point to point in the order of the data and the smoothness (and closeness to the points) depends are the arguments that you specify.  This makes more sense for most applications that I can think of for plotting onto a map.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org