[R] Plotting a function that includes logical operators

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 13:56:38 CEST 2011

On Jul 27, 2011, at 3:01 AM, dean123 wrote:

> I am trying to plot the following function over the range 0-100
>
> test <- function(t){{
> if (t<=10)
> x<-t*0
> else x<-2*t
> }
> }

Two problems I see. The first is the one described fairly clearly by
the error message:

Read:

?"if"

It is not designed to handle vectors.

You most certainly should read:

?ifelse

> when I use plot(test,0,100) the GUI produces the following;

The second is that you have created a function to which you have
offered no arguments. Typing plot(test, 0, 100) is not passing any
arguments to 'test'. It is giving test, 0, and 100 to 'plot' and since
they are unnamed you are futher expecting R to associate test with x,
0 with y and 100 with whatever the third argument plot might be. (You
should look it up.)

?plot

You need to learn to form you commands as
function_name(arg_name=arg_value, ...) and realize that function calls
can also be arguments so once you have a working 'test' it might be
successful to use this

plot( seq(100), test(seq(100) )

See read more of Introduction to R and work all the examples.

--
David.