[R] Correlated Multivariate Distribution Generator

Enrico Schumann enricoschumann at yahoo.de
Wed Jul 27 09:24:17 CEST 2011

Hi Yue Yu,

similar questions have been discussed several times on this list; you may
want to search the archives.

Do you mean linear correlation, or rank correlation? In general, a given
linear correlation will not always be attainable (though in your case, it
probably will). If _rank_ correlation is fine, you could do something like
this:

(1) create Gaussians X with a given linear correlation (which is almost
identical to rank correlation in the Gaussian case, but you can even correct
this*)

(2) put X into the distribution function of the normal: you get uniforms U.
Since the distribution function is monotone, the rank correlation will
remain unaltered. Hence the U are (rank-)correlated just as the X.

(3) put U into the inverse of the desired distribution function. The inverse
is mononote as well, so the rank correlation remains the same.

[This approach will only be practical if you can compute the inverse
reasonably fast.]

Regards,
Enrico

* see, eg, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1681917