[R] Finding/identifying a value within a factor

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:48:51 CEST 2011

Hi Ryan,

The key to this is the grep() command.

It's easiest if you import your data as character rather than factor,
since these aren't properly factors. You don't say how that's done,
but if you are using read.table() then as.is=TRUE will prevent
conversion to factor.

For a character vector, here's how to find out which elements contain a <.

>  x<-c("1","2","3","4","<1")
> str(x)
 chr [1:5] "1" "2" "3" "4" "<1"
> grep("<", x)
[1] 5
> x[grep("<", x)]
[1] "<1"

If there's some other compelling reason that your data are stored as
factors, one approach would be to identify which factor levels have <
in them, then identify the values that are of those levels.

> x <- factor(x)
[1] 1  2  3  4  <1
Levels: <1 1 2 3 4
> levels(x)
[1] "<1" "1"  "2"  "3"  "4"
> grep("<", levels(x))
[1] 1
> x[x %in% levels(x)[grep("<", levels(x))]]
[1] <1
Levels: <1 1 2 3 4

All of this is assuming that there are more possibilities than "<1";
if that's the only concern then == should work just fine.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org