[R] Wide confidence intervals or Error message in a mixed effects model (nlme)

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Jul 25 17:29:22 CEST 2011

Inline below. -- Bert

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Dieter Menne
<dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de> wrote:

> Menelaos Stavrinides-2 wrote:
>>
>> I am analyzing a dataset on the effects of six pesticides on population
>> growth rate of a predatory mite. The response variable is the population
>> growth rate of the mite (ranges from negative to positive) and the
>> exploratory variable is a categorical variable (treatment). The
>> experiment was blocked in time (3 blocks / replicates per block) and it
>> is unbalanced - at least 1 replicate per block. I am analyzing the data
>> in nlme using model<-lme(growth.rate~treatment,random=~1|block).
>>

>> In another study, I am investigating the interactions between pesticides
>> in a two-way design: (pesticideA x no pesticide A) crossed with
>> (pesticideB x no pesticide B). The blocking is as above, and the data
>> are unbalanced again. The model is defined as
>> model<-lme(growth.rate~pestA*pestB,random=~1|block). When I run
>> intervals (model), I usually get the following error message: "Error in
>> intervals.lme(model) : Cannot get confidence intervals on var-cov
>> components: Non-positive definite approximate variance-covariance".
>>

> It depends on your data which you did not show. At least show str() or
> summary(), it could also be a forgotten factor(). With simulated data, it is
> quite easy to get reasonable-looking cases where var-cov is degenerate.

Yes, especially when you must estimate the the b(b+1)/2 = 6 covariance
parameters for b=3 blocks  of the unstructured full variance
covariance matrix. You might try using a structured matrix (e.g.
?pdDiag ) to reduce the number of random effects parameters you are
estimating. Remember, this is a nonlinear estimation problem, and you
need a "lot" of data to get good estimates in nonlinear estimation.

I would also address future questions of this sort to the
R-sig-mixed-models list, as this is not really an r-help kind of
question.

-- Bert