[R] compute the mean of two (or more) correlations

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 16:47:25 CEST 2011

Hi Martin,

Off hand I do not know of a pre-defined function to do it, but the
"z-transformation" is just the inverse hyperbolic function, the mean
is just the mean, and the back transformation is the hypoerbolic
function so...

############
x <- c(.5, .4)
tanh(mean(atanh(x)))
############

should do it.

Cheers,

Josh

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Martin Batholdy
<batholdy at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> is there a function in R that computes the mean of two (or more) correlations?
> (that is doing the z-transformation of the correlations, computing the mean of the z-values and then retransform it to a correlation).
>
> Or is there a fisher-table implemented?
>

> I have not found anything via help.search() or google so far.
>

> thank you!

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles